Sunday, December 26, 1999

Three Hour Tour of Paris


The challenge I faced was this: a three-hour lay over in Paris, just three hours to see as much of the city as I can without missing my plane to Africa. I decided that my best bet was to commission a taxicab driver to assist me with my mission. I found a cab driver, who despite thinking me quite insane, agreed to give me a personalized tour.

My biggest goal, which was not to be compromied under any circumstances, was to ascend the Eiffel Tower. After all, what would a trip to Paris be without checking out the city's most famous monument? I have to say, the view was spectacular, both from the ground and from the deck. also, the tower was already decorated for the upcoming millenium celebration. Much to my dismay, I could not get my new digital camera to work. However, I was able to get some good video footage.

My second goal was shopping. I didn't have anything in particular I wanted to buy, but memories of watching the Griswalds' shopping spree in National Lampoon's European Vacation were running through my mind. I had the driver take me around the Arc de Triomphe, and then let me out on Champs Elysees. There was everything chic that you could imagine. I ended up buying a new Parisian perfume for my mother.

The clock was running, and there was a bit of traffic on our ride to the Musee du Louvre. Unfortunately, I did not have time to enter and see the artwork. Perhaps an adventure for a different day.

Last stop: Notre Dame Cathedral. The line was short and I was able to see the interior without difficulty. Finally, I got my new camera to function, and I was able to snap a shot of the building on the way out-my only still photograph of Paris.

No comments: